This is the privacy notice of Back Track Adventures.
In this document:
“we”, “our” or “us” refers to Travel Place Pty Ltd trading as Back Track Adventures registered in Australia with ACN 648 174 396 / ABN 89648174396.
“the client” or “you/your” refers to any person who directly engages with Back Track Adventures via any platform including (but not limited to) website, phone, email & social media, and to any person (who must be at least 18 years old at the time of booking) making a booking with us, and all persons on whose behalf a booking is made.
This is a notice to inform you of our policy about all information that we record about you. It covers both information that could and could not identify you.
This policy has been developed in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 and the Australian Privacy Principles.
We take our data protection and privacy responsibilities seriously. We understand that all website users rightly want assurance that their data won’t be used for unintended purposes or shared with third parties accidentally. Our policy is both specific and strict. It complies with Australian law. If you think our policy falls short of your expectations or that we are failing to abide by our policy, please contact us and let us know so we can improve our service to our customers.
We regret that if you cannot agree to any point below, your only recourse is to leave our website immediately.
1. Collection of personal information
We will only collect personal information where such information is reasonably necessary for us to undertake our functions and activities.
Generally, we collect personal information when you enquire or make a booking with us. We may also collect personal information when you email us, write to us, call us, register for newsletters, or connect with us via social media. The type of personal information we may collect includes but is not limited to: name, address, telephone number, email, credit card details, passport information, frequent flyer information, and any other details that may be relevant to the service we provide to you.
In certain circumstances, we may collect sensitive information about you such as financial information, ethnic origin, religious beliefs, or health information. We will only collect sensitive information with your consent and where it is reasonably necessary or directly related to the provision of our services.
Note concerning ‘Cookies’ on our internet sites
We use “Cookies”. A “cookie” is a packet of information that allows the server (the computer that houses our website) to identify and interact more effectively with your computer. Our website may also store cookies on your web browser in order to improve service for you on your subsequent visits to the website.
Our website also records other information that is used to improve the structure and performance of the site and to provide users with an improved service. Information collected for this purpose may include overall usage statistics and information downloaded. However, we do not correlate this information with data about individual users.
1A Like all other users of cookies, we may request the return of information from your computer when your browser requests a web page from our server. Cookies enable our web server to identify you to us and to track your actions and the pages you visit while you use our website. The cookies we use may last for a single visit to our site (they are deleted from your computer when you close your browser) or may remain on your computer until you delete them or until a defined period has passed.
1A.2 to allow essential parts of our website to operate for you
1A.3 to operate our content management system
1A.4 to operate the online notification form – the form that you use to contact us for any reason. This cookie is set on your arrival at our website and deleted when you close your browser
1A.5 to enhance security on our contact form. This cookie is set for use only through the contact form and is deleted when you close your browser
1A.6 to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to improve your experience of our site and enable us to increase sales. This cookie collects information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from, and other pages they visited
1A.7 to record that a user has viewed a webcast. This cookie collects information in an anonymous form and expires when you close your browser
1A.8 to record your activity during a webcast. For example, whether you have asked a question or provided an opinion by ticking a box. This information is retained to improve your experience when you return to the site. This cookie will record an anonymous ID for each user, but it will not use the information for any other purpose. This cookie will last for [three] months, after which it will be deleted automatically
1A.9 to store your personal information so that you do not have to provide it afresh when you visit the site next time. This cookie will last for  days
1A.10 to enable you to watch videos we have placed on YouTube. Please note, any activity on YouTube will also be subject to your individual YouTube privacy settings.
2. We may use your information in the following ways:
• To provide our services to you. We act as an agent to provide travel arrangements or to provide goods and services to you. The personal information we collect is used to consider your request and complete it. We use your personal information when you have emailed, phoned, or written to us, to provide you with a response to that enquiry or request. We may respond to you by email, phone, or direct message when we interact with you for these purposes.
• To send you payment and invoicing information. We use your personal information for the purpose of finalising your payment/s to us and to allow us to send invoice/receipt. We may contact you by email or phone when we interact with you for these purposes.
• For Marketing to you. We may use your information to contact you regarding special offers or services that may be of interest to you. If you wish to opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us you may do so by contacting us on the contact details in clause 9 or for emails, by using the unsubscribe facility.
• For verifying your identity for security purposes. Information which does not identify any individual may be used in a general way by us or third parties, to provide class information, for example relating to demographics or usage of a particular page or service.
3. Disclosure of your Personal Information
You agree that we may disclose your personal information to related or unrelated third parties in the following manner:
• To third-party suppliers of products or services you have requested. Also, when we obtain information from you specifically to enable you to buy a service offered on our website by some other entity, we assume that in giving us your information, you are also permitting us to pass it on to the relevant entity. For the purpose of providing our services to you, your personal information will be supplied to complete your travel arrangements and will be disclosed to suppliers such as airlines, tour operators, car hire operators, hotels, and insurance providers. These third parties may be located overseas.
• Where required by law, court, or tribunal. Where we are required by law, court, or tribunal to provide your personal information, we will provide that information in accordance with the requirements or conditions stipulated by the law, court, or tribunal.
• With your consent. Where we have your consent, we may disclose your personal information. If your consent is conditional, we will take reasonable steps to ensure such conditions are complied with.
• We do not sell, rent, or share our membership/participant lists on a commercial basis to third parties.
4. Information Quality
We will review, on a regular and ongoing basis, our collection and storage practices to make improvements to the accuracy and security of your personal information.
5. Access to and alteration of records containing Personal Information.
You may request a copy of the information we hold about you at any time, in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988.
You may request that we update any inaccurate, incomplete, or out-of-date information we hold about you. If amendments are necessary, we will correct our records that contain your personal information as soon as practically possible, in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988.
We do not charge a fee for processing a request to access or amend your personal information.
If you would like to access or amend your personal information, please send your request in writing, using the contact information nominated in clause 9.
6. Transferring personal information overseas
We will disclose your personal information to third-party suppliers you have requested who may be located overseas. The disclosure of such information is necessary to complete any bookings or make reservations. We have no control over what any third-party suppliers may do with your information. If you provide information to us with a view to it being read, copied, downloaded, or used by other people, we accept no responsibility for what that third party may do with it. It is up to you to satisfy yourself about the privacy level of every person who might see your information.
7. Photo and Video
When you are travelling with us on a Back Track Adventures (BTA) trek or tour, as part of your experience a photo or video may be taken either by the BTA leader, an employee of BTA, one of our partners, or another passenger. If you do not wish for your photograph to be taken at any time, or to be included in any video, please let your tour leader or the photographer know. Any photos taken by BTA staff (including employees and group leaders) will not be used for marketing purposes without your prior knowledge. While we take every precaution to protect your privacy, we are not responsible for other group members who may take your photograph or video you without our knowledge.
By using our service or our website, you signify your assent to this Policy.
9. Contact us
If you have any questions or would like to lodge a complaint about this Policy or an alleged breach of the Australian Privacy Principles, or you would like to request copies of the information we hold about you, please contact us by phone or email.