The recipe: Moroccan Briouats (pictured)
• 250g blanched almonds
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 2 tsp flower water (orange blossom, rose water or lavender water are popular)
• ½ cup butter, melted • cup brown sugar
• 1 pkt filo pastry
• 2 tbs sesame seeds or crushed pistachios
• 200g honey
• 4 cardamom pods, bruised
• 1 cinnamon quill
PREP TIME 30 mins / COOKING 20-25 mins / SERVINGS 22
- Pre-heat oven to 180C. Place almonds on a baking tray and roast for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Process almonds, ground cinnamon, 1 tsp flower water, butter and brown sugar until a fine crumb mixture starts to come together.
- Stack the filo sheets on a clean workbench and cut whole sheets into strips 8cm wide. Cover strips in a dry tea towel and then a wet tea towel until ready to use.
- Place one strip of filo onto your work surface. Brush with melted butter. Place tablespoon of almond filling on the top corner of filo sheet and fold over to make a triangle. Continue folding over until you reach the end of the filo sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Place on an oven tray and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crispy and golden.
- Pour honey, 1 tsp flower water, cinnamon quill and cardamom pods into saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Pour honey over briouats, covering completely.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a rack over a tray to catch the drips. Allow to cool slightly and serve.
Now want to try the real thing? Then try a Real Food Adventure:
Taste the heart of Morocco. 10 days from $1450* plus your airfares. You will:
- Brush shoulders with locals while you feast on freshly grilled sardines purchased from the port fish souk in Essaouira;
- Enjoy traditional Berber food and hospitality with a local family up in the High Atlas Mountains, overlooking the crowning peaks in the distance;
- Soak up what could be the quintessential smell of Morocco as you watch ras el hanout being freshly ground in a Marrakech spice souk;
- Eat mechoui (slow roasted lamb), that’s deliciously falling-apart after being cooked in a pit beneath the floor, while looking over market stalls in the incredible Djemma el Fna.
Call, email or drop in to see our team about Real Food Adventures foodie trips and recipes including:
- North and South India Real Food Adventure – 26 days from $5,565*. Recipe: Indian Bhel Puri
- South Korea Real Food Adventure: 8 days from $2,995*. Recipe: South Korean Bulgogi
- Mexico Real Food Adventure: 9 days from $2,195.* Recipe: Mexican Tostadas
- Iran Food Adventure – 10 days from $3,995*.
- Peru Real Food Adventure – 10 days from $2,385*.
- Slovenia & Croatia Real Food Adventure – 12 days from $3,550*.