- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
On this expedition you will follow in the wake of Australia’s greatest polar pioneer. Departing from Tasmania’s glorious south coast, you’ll sail to Auckland Islands to encounter sea lion harems and yellow-eyed penguins before continuing on to Campbell Island to be enchanted by the royal albatross courting amidst megaherb meadows.
Crossing the thick pack ice as we head south you’ll enjoying the wildlife-rich waters leading to Commonwealth Bay and skirting Mertz Glacier Tongue. Subject to the ice and katabatic winds, we step back into Australia’s rich Antarctic heritage to discover the jewel of Mawson’s Huts. Continuing west you’ll cruise along the East Antarctic coastline searching for emperor and Adélie penguins, snow petrels, seals and orcas. Dropping into Macquarie Island vast rookeries of king penguin, nesting albatross and elephant seal wallows await before heading back towards the emerald green shores of Tasmania.
SELLING FAST – LIMITED CABINS AVAILABLE – Contact us for more information.
**This expedition is subject to regulatory approval and only open to Australian residents.
- Arrival transfer from airport to Greg Mortimer on Day 1
- Departure transfer from Greg Mortimer to airport or hotel on last day
- Onboard accommodation during voyage including daily cabin service
- All meals, snacks, tea and coffee during voyage
- Beer, house wine and soft drinks with dinner
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell reception including four-course dinner, house cocktails, house beer and wine, non-alcoholic beverages
- All shore excursions and Zodiac cruises
- Educational lectures and guiding services from expedition team
- Complimentary access to onboard expedition doctor and medical clinic (initial consult)
- A 3-in-1 waterproof polar expedition jacket
- Complimentary use of muck boots during the voyage
- Port surcharges, permits and landing fees
- Gratuities for ship crew
- International or domestic flights not mentioned in the itinerary
- Transfers not mentioned in the itinerary
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Passport, visa, and vaccination charges
- Travel insurance or emergency evacuation charges
- Hotels and meals not included in itinerary
- Optional excursions not included in the itinerary
- Optional activity surcharges
- All items of a personal nature including but not limited to: alcoholic beverages and soft drinks (outside of dinner service), laundry services, personal clothing, medical expenses, gratuities, Wi-Fi, email or phone charges.
The Greg Mortimer
Vessel Type: Ice class 1A expedition ship
Length: 104 metres
Passenger Capacity: 120
Built: 2018, launched 2019
Launching in 2019, the Greg Mortimer is proudly named after Aurora’s adventurous co-founder. This 104-metre ship is a purpose-built expedition vessel capable of negotiating the strongest winds and waves, built to world-class polar standards, and designed in close consultation with expedition specialists.
he Greg Mortimer redefines expedition cruising for the future, with just 120 passengers on board in the polar regions. Not only is the ship bigger to contend with adverse weather conditions, its added creature comforts make for a more enjoyable journey out on the open ocean. As a modern and custom-designed ship, the Greg Mortimer is at the cutting edge of nautical technology. Robust, powerful and built with guests in mind, the Greg Mortimer will make your journey a breeze!
Greg Mortimer X-BOWX-BOW™
Some of the expeditions face the worst Mother Nature can throw at them as they venture into exciting and untouched regions. However, this won’t be problem on the Greg Mortimer with the introduction of the patented X-BOW™, created by Norwegian ship designer ULSTEIN. As one of the leaders in marine engineering, ULSTEIN’s X-BOW™ is an inverted bow concept that’s been built on over 100 vessels in the shipping industry. Excitingly, we are the first expedition cruise operator to utilise this technology for the challenging open ocean waves!
Hydraulic viewing platforms
To ensure you get the best views possible, the new ship features unique viewing platforms, custom-built for the Greg Mortimer. Accessed from Deck 5, the two platforms fold out hydraulically for unobstructed views of passing marine life and seabirds – make sure your camera is locked and loaded!
Zodiac launching platform and custom-built activity platform
On this new ship, there are specially designed launching platforms that enables us to load Zodiacs easily and quickly, allowing you to spend more time exploring on the two to three daily landings. There are 15 Zodiacs that are boarded from either side of Deck 3 (sea level). There is also a spacious prep and loading platform for all the activities you might want to undertake – designed in consultation with expert activity guides.
The Greg Mortimer offers reduced emissions into the air and sea, lower energy consumption, high fuel efficiency, reduced light pollution for minimal wildlife disruption and lower on-board plastic use. It’s vital to also mention the state-of-the-art virtual anchoring technology of the X-BOW™, which means the ship can float anchorless while launching Zodiacs, kayaks etc, without disturbing delicate sea floor areas.
All staterooms have private bathrooms, personal storage options, twin and double-bed configuration options, ample storage, international power outlets and a daily cabin service, as well as all the basic amenities that you’ll need onboard.
Pricing NameStartEndGroup (Min-Max)Pricing